Electron Backscatter Diffraction 2018
EBSD 2018 has come and gone but you can download the Conference Booklet containing abstracts and other useful information from here:
EBSD 2018 Registration is Now Closed
- EBSD registration and application for Early Career Scholar travel scholarship is now closed
Please note: You will not immediately receive email confirmation after registering. Please register only once! Those paying by PayPal will receive a PayPal receipt. We recommend using Firefox rather than Chrome.
- The registration levels are as follows: $80 for student members, $100 for students non-members, $200 for MAS members, and $250 for non-members. You can use either PayPal (preferred) or by check.
- Covered by registration:
Conference, program guide, coffee at breaks, lunch (Wed,Thu,Fri), and Thursday reception and banquet
- Not covered by registration:
Dinners on Wednesday and Friday are not provided.
Travel and lodging: you are responsible for making these arrangements.
- Registration will close April 7th
EBSD Topical Conference Summary
The Microanalysis Society welcomes you to the Electron-probe Microanalysis 2018 Topical Conference EBSD 2018, which will be held May 23-25, 2018 at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI campus. EBSD 2018 is dedicated to characterization of crystallography using electron beam diffraction, primarily Electron Back Scatter Diffraction (EBSD) on the scanning electron microscope.
EBSD 2018 will follow the very successful format of EBSD 2016 and will run for three days. The first day, will be split into two tracks with an introduction/ basic track and an advanced track with all day tutorials in each including lectures on EBSD theory and application and hands-on demonstrations about how to run the basic EBSD experiments and data analyses. The first day will also include live demonstrations of the latest EBSD hardware and software so that attendees with more experience can interact with the EBSD and related technology vendors. The programming for the second and third days will be comprised of plenary and contributed presentations highlighting recent developments, data analysis methods, and materials and geo-science applications. We will have a poster session and competition on the afternoon of the second day, followed by a banquet to celebrate the meeting.
Meeting facilities include a large auditorium and adjacent space for plenary meeting, breaks, and meals, all located in the UM North Campus Research Complex.
Travel options include the Detroit airport (DTW) only 26 miles away, as well as Amtrak service directly to Ann Arbor. See Travel information below.
Lodging is available on campus (highly recommended for students) and at nearby hotels. See Lodging information below.
EBSD 2018 Sponsors
- Katharina Marquardt (University Bayreuth, Germany)
- John Wheeler (University of Liverpool, UK)
- Maurine Montagnat (Institut des Géosciences de l’Environnement, France)
- Angus Wilkinson (Oxford University, UK)
- Ralf Hielscher (Chemnitz Technische Universität, Germany)
Confirmed Tutorial Leaders
- Marc De Graef (Carnegie Mellon University) – EBSD Technology and Indexing Engine
- Luke Brewer (The University of Alabama) – Metallurgical Sample Preparation
- Angus Wilkinson (University of Oxford, UK) -Cross Correlation EBSD
- Stephen Niezgoda (The Ohio State University) – Coupling Crystal Plasticity Modeling with EBSD Data
- Ralf Hielscher (Chemnitz Technishe Universität, Germany) – Matlab Texture Analysis Toolbox
- Sean Donnegan (AFRL) – Dream 3D for Polycrystalline Datasets
- Brian Hess (University of Wisconsin) – Preparation of Geologic Materials
All participants are invited to submit an abstract. A limited number will be selected for oral presentations (20 minutes allotted for each), and ample space will be provided for posters. The abstract must be formatted properly for acceptance. Please follow the formatting in the template below, provided in PDF and DOCX formats:
- Northwood line is the bus to ride
- Morning pickup is “Rackham – stop C211”
- Morning dropoff is “Plymouth Rd crosswalk – stop N424”
- Commute back in the evening is the opposite
- at 3600 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 – ask for the EBSD 2018 rate of $114/night breakfast buffet is available to purchase at $9.95. Shuttle to NCRC available.
- at 2300 Green Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 – ask for the EBSD 2018 rate of $115/night, hot breakfast is included. Shuttle to NCRC available.
- at 3621 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 – $87.99/night – negotiated rates currently unavailable
- at 3610 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 – ask for the EBSD 2018 rate of $67/night for one bed, $77/night for two beds. Breakfast is continental and included. Shuttle to NCRC available.
- by Marriott at 3535 Green Ct, Ann Arbor, MI 48105 – $159/night – negotiated rates currently unavailable
- Ann Arbor at 615 E Huron St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 – $230/night – negotiated rates currently unavailable
EBSD 2018 Organizers
- Steve Niezgoda (Ohio State University)
- Marc DeGraef (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Elena Miranda (California State University – Northridge)
- Andrew Cross (Washington University – St Louis)
- Bobby Kerns (University of Michigan)
- John Mansfield (University of Michigan)